I received these awesome huge muslin swaddling blankets as a gift. The combination of these and my researched swaddling techniques were sure to work! Apparently not. Luke is a very determined little man and would not give up. So I finally decided it was time to bring in the big guns. When Addie was an infant, I swaddled her with the Miracle Blanket. This is a swaddle blanket which is basically like a strait jacket and it is virtually impossible to escape from. Unfortunately, the Miracle Blanket is a little on the pricey side and I had no idea where the one we used with her was. So, after agonizing about purchasing a second Miracle Blanket, I went ahead and ordered one. The first night Luke slept a 7 hour stretch. This was followed by longer sleep stretches every night...our longest so far being 9 hours!

A few minutes later
My pediatrician had told me that 3 months is the magical time when babies are really capable of sleeping for long stretches. When we started using the Miracle Blanket Luke was right around 11 weeks. So, it could be a combination of the two...who knows. All I know is we're getting more sleep around here, and for that I am thankful!


Do we have the same son???? I've been to the miracle blanket- yes, aka, the baby straight jacket for sure- website at least 5 times in the past 48 hours. I have not been able to bring myself to buy one but I think your post is a sign I am supposed to! Once Finn gets an arm out, he will not go back to sleep and he ALWAYS gets an arm out and then my perfect swaddle is on his face and he is wide eyed. He seriously takes like a 1-2 hour nap only once a day- the others are 30 minutes. And 4 hour stretches are the norm for us with a few 5-6 hours in there. Sorry I'm writing a book but I'm not on facebook right now so I can't message you. Ok, so do you think the miracle blanket impedes development?? Will they need to be swaddled forever??? How did Addie do with it?? Any thoughts are welcomed! And happy birthday Addie! I remember when you announced you were pregnant!
ReplyDeleteI used the miracle blanket with Addie, but honestly I'm not sure if it made a huge difference or not. She was always a great sleeper, with or without the swaddle. Luke on the other hand flails around without the swaddle. When Luke naps I have him swaddled in the miracle blanket, but not as restrictively as at night. He also naps in his swing. He usually naps for 1.5 to 2 hours at a time. My pediatrician said that it's probably not doing him a disservice that he doesn't nap in his cribs because until they are moving around more, crawling, rolling, etc. they just aren't good nappers. I don't think the Miracle Blanket impedes development if you're just using it when they're sleeping. I only really have him in the full strait jacket at night. Since we've gotten it, Luke has only been waking up once a night between 7:30-8 pm and 7:30 am. Sometimes he'll go 8 hours, sometimes just 5 or 6, but then he'll do another long stretch. Is Finn on a good schedule during the day? I'm not crazy about the scheduling, but I do think it makes some difference. Hope this helps!
ReplyDelete